Skip to main content

Saying Goodbye To The Old And Saying Hello To The New

When my daughter was two or three I started Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness.  I loved that blog.  At that time I was a stay at home Mom and desperately in need of a creative outlet and something I could look at and feel a sense of accomplishment.  So many years ago.  I poured my heart into that blog.  There were so many blogs that started at the same time as mine and seemed to sky rocket.  My blog, just plugged along.  Never reached 'rock star status'.  Many times I was bummed by that because it is how I saw myself in the world of professionals after leaving my social work job to stay home with the kids.  If my blog failed, it meant I wasn't any good.  Boy, was I hard on myself.  Many times I thought to leave blogdom, be done with it.  But I kept going, thinking that some amazing success would happen with my blog.  Something amazing would spring forth.  Some company would sign me on as a recipe developer.  Or my hits would go up and I would make money doing my blog. Or I would get some free lance gig, reviewing recipes or writing articles about food and of course make money at it.  It would reward me as a professional.  I always felt this opportunity could be just around the corner if I just hung in there longer.  Year after year.  I joined cooking clubs, like the Daring Bakers and started a cooking club called Recipes to Rival, but alas that went nowhere.

At some point, probably about three years ago I really wanted to quit my blog.  But it had become so much a part of my life and I do like to write and talk about food, I just couldn't let it go. I enjoyed it. At that point I re-framed it all in my mind.

I started to see my blog for something simple.  A creative outlet.  A place to be able to find recipes I have done over the years in a snap.  A journal of my life with food in relations to my parents, husband and children.  A place to write stories about my heritage and my heritage in relation to food. Something my children could look back on and enjoy.  I let go of all the other dreams I had in relation to the blog.  I wasn't really sad about it anymore.  I found myself in other ways.  I started to quilt. And all that creative energy got funneled in there along with a sense, a personal sense, of accomplishment.  All is good.

A new journey has begun.  I start this blog with no dreams in mind in relation to my blog but rather a chronicle of how we went from being carnivores, well, really, omnivores to vegan, plant based people. It's not a fad for me.  Although I can not speak for my husband I don't believe it is a fad for him either.
What we left behind.
The last meat meal I had was Mothers Day of this year, 2017.  We had chicken on the grill and I also made shrimp.  It was a feast.  The day after, it was  a plant based life.  My husband started the following week after all the grilled chicken was gone.

What was the spark that made me go Vegan...  a doctors lecture at a Aging Conference I was at.  A very inspirational story that moved me.  That inspired a change in me.

Stay tuned for who, what and when on my next post...
What we said hello to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mexican Style Tofu Scramble Bowl

A really easy bowl to make and super delicious! I really like the recipes I see out there for "bowls".  It's kind of funny because this is what I have pretty much done on my plate for a long time now.  I would stir it all together, much to my children's chagrin.  Well, at least one of my children.  She does not like things touching each other. She is not especially a fan of curries for example. Now, though, as she gets older, she is not quite so outraged about touching food. The bowl concept is a pretty sexy one, I think. So pretty, sitting there in the bowl.  Fun to see all the components and then mixing the beauty together with the noodles or rice or whatever underneath. I think what makes a good bowl is the blend of something crunchy, something piquant or spicy, something salty and something creamy. Just lovely! Mexican Tofu Scramble Bowl makes 4 bowls 1 brick of tofu, pressed for 20 minutes, then crumbled 1 tablespoon taco seasonings 1/2 cup garlic sca

BBQ Carrot with Pineapple Salsa

I found this idea at the cafeteria of the place I use to work at. I thought it was pretty genius. No author to site, sorry to whoever you are. I did experience some things that didn’t work in that recipe and changed it up quite a bit and added a trick I use for vegetables that so, all in all we could safely call this my recipe. In the original recipe, it called for roasting carrots.  I did that and really by the time they are tender, they are drying out from the roasting. They were cut in about 3/8ths slices.  A good way to do it if you want to do it all in the oven is to cover the carrots for a little while and let the steam cook them without drying. Then about 10 or 15 minutes in remove the cover and let them roast the rest of the way.  Matter of fact... I may make it today.  All I need is the zucchini... BRB. BBQ Carrot with Pineapple Salsa 1 cup pineapple, diced fine 1/4 cup red onion, diced fine 1 Serrano pepper, chopped fine 1/4 cup chopped cilantro 1 clove garlic