Skip to main content

Greens and Beans


This classic Italian 'Beans and Greens' comes together really easily.  I grew up on this dish.  Loaded with nutrients and flavor.

When I was growing up, the sister to this dish, minestra was served in our house on a regular basis. All you would do is add chicken broth and pepperoni chunks and turn it into a soup.  I wasn't especially fond of the soup growing up.  I would pick out the pepperoni chunks.

BEANS AND GREENS

1 to 2 heads kale or escarole, depending on how much is in the head or how much you want to make. 1 can or 2 cups white beans, such as navy beans
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
S & P, to taste

Cook greens in salted water  ( about a tablespoon in a big pot), until tender.  Drain and cool. Squeeze water out as much as possible.  I like to chop it up at this point.

In a large skillet saute garlic in oil. When garlic is slightly golden, add in greens and beans and heat through.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gobi Manchurian

  This Gobi Manchurian is the bomb.  Its sweet and spicy.  I really enjoyed this over rice.  You can totally deep fry your cauliflower but I preferred it baked without the oil. You really wont miss the oil once it is bathed in this crazy good sauce. Gobi Manchurian I added a lot more veggies because I wanted it loaded with veggies but you can go sparse if you likke, just halve what I have here. 1 head cauliflower, roughly 4-6 cups small pieces (bite size) 1 cup flour  1/2 cup tapioca or corn flour (corn starch) 1 cup water 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 green bell peppers, diced 2 cups onion, I used sweet onion in mine but any onion will do 4-6 cloves garlic, depends on how much you like garlic 1 inch piece of ginger, minced or grated 1 chili, I used Hatch Chilies because I had them frozen in my freezer 2 tablespoons corn flour or tapioca flour 2 cups water, I like a lot of sauce to pour over my rice, you can halve it if you like 4 tablespoons tomato paste 2 tablespoons so...

Lemon Rice

This is so delicious!  This will be a regular to be sure! You can find all kinds of version of this South Indian dish on the internet.  We are pretty pleased with this version and my adaptations.  One of my adaptations is the yellow peppers.  You probably wont find that in most of the recipes on the internet but we liked it because it upped the vegetable quotient in our meal and it looked pretty making the dish more yellow, like lemons. Lemon Rice If you have rice already made, this will come together super quick. 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ½ tablespoon minced ginger ½ tablespoon urad dal 1 red chili pepper ½ teaspoon mustard seeds ½ cup raw cashew nuts some curry leaves, if you have them ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder 5½ cups cooked rice ¼ teaspoon salt or more to taste 4 tablespoons lemon juice, from one large lemon 2 large yellow bell peppers 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves Saute yellow peppers in oil until soft.add ginger,...

BEET BURGER

Last year I made these beet burgers every chance I got and froze them for later use (in winter).  They had a lot of cheddar cheese in them.  I had tried the ones with black beans in them and was definitely preferring my cheesy ones.  Now, since going vegan, I had to try to make it taste like the cheddar infused ones.  I was not at all hopeful but I was resigned to trying. Score!  These are the bomb and honestly and surprisingly I don't miss the cheese.  Shocking! The two really important ingredients are the sauted onions and the sesame seeds.  I think those are really what elevates this burger. BEET BURGER 4 cups grated beet (not packed) 1 can chickpea, crushed 1 1/2 cups panko (may need more) 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast 1 egg (replacer) 1 large onion, minced 1 tablespoon oil 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted To prep beets:  Wash off most of the dirt on the beets, place in a large pot,covered with water and boil, covered unt...