Skip to main content

Vindaloo Sauce



I double this when I make it. I have made it twice now.  I freeze some of it.  It is a great meal to make when you are in a hurry.  You can cook some lentils and just add the sauce to it.  Or you can get all fancy and add vegetables to the mix.  I have made it both ways now and I think my favorite is just with the lentils.  I have spread it on toast, yes, seriously I have (on more that one occassion). It's awesome that way.

VINDALOO SAUCE
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoon white peppercorns
1 teaspoon whole cloves
4 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
2 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoon fennel seeds (reduce or omit if you are not a fan)
2 guajillo chilies
4 cloves garlic
1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, mince
1 teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 can tomato paste (4 ounces)
2 tablespoon Tamarind paste

Toast the spices in a dry pan, until fragrant. Watch carefully as it will burn easily. Once you start to smell it, then you remove it and put it on a plate or in a bowl. If it burns it will be bitter.  Discard and try again.

Process spices in processor.  Add the remainder of ingredients

Transfer the spices to the bowl of a small food processor and add the rest of the ingredients. Process until it becomes a smooth paste. Scrape down the sides of the machine as necessary.
Store the curry paste in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. It should keep for about a month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gobi Manchurian

  This Gobi Manchurian is the bomb.  Its sweet and spicy.  I really enjoyed this over rice.  You can totally deep fry your cauliflower but I preferred it baked without the oil. You really wont miss the oil once it is bathed in this crazy good sauce. Gobi Manchurian I added a lot more veggies because I wanted it loaded with veggies but you can go sparse if you likke, just halve what I have here. 1 head cauliflower, roughly 4-6 cups small pieces (bite size) 1 cup flour  1/2 cup tapioca or corn flour (corn starch) 1 cup water 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 green bell peppers, diced 2 cups onion, I used sweet onion in mine but any onion will do 4-6 cloves garlic, depends on how much you like garlic 1 inch piece of ginger, minced or grated 1 chili, I used Hatch Chilies because I had them frozen in my freezer 2 tablespoons corn flour or tapioca flour 2 cups water, I like a lot of sauce to pour over my rice, you can halve it if you like 4 tablespoons tomato paste 2 tablespoons so...

Lemon Rice

This is so delicious!  This will be a regular to be sure! You can find all kinds of version of this South Indian dish on the internet.  We are pretty pleased with this version and my adaptations.  One of my adaptations is the yellow peppers.  You probably wont find that in most of the recipes on the internet but we liked it because it upped the vegetable quotient in our meal and it looked pretty making the dish more yellow, like lemons. Lemon Rice If you have rice already made, this will come together super quick. 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ½ tablespoon minced ginger ½ tablespoon urad dal 1 red chili pepper ½ teaspoon mustard seeds ½ cup raw cashew nuts some curry leaves, if you have them ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder 5½ cups cooked rice ¼ teaspoon salt or more to taste 4 tablespoons lemon juice, from one large lemon 2 large yellow bell peppers 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves Saute yellow peppers in oil until soft.add ginger,...

Mushroom and Potato Vegan Pizza

Vegan pizza.  I know.  It kind of seems ridiculous.  Cause you know pizza is all about the cheese. And its good.  I totally understand.  But all you need to do is shift your attitude a little and you will find that pizza really is so much more.  It can be about any flavor you want.  And of course, it can be about your favorite vegan mozzarella too.  But challenge yourself to go beyond all that.  To try new horizons. We have had vegan pizza few times.  We like it with sauce and an assortment of roasted vegetables. We liked this one a lot too.  It was so good. I think what really elevates this is the sauteed onions.  I might have mentioned that before in other recipes.  Do you detect a theme? Mushroom and Potato Pizza dough: 3 1/2 cups flour 1 tablespoon sugar 1 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast (1 package) 1 1/4 to 1/2 cups water topping: 4 cups mushrooms, sliced 1 large...