Skip to main content

Green Bean and Tofu Curry


Not the prettiest pictures but I needed to capture this recipe and save it.  We all loved it.  So creamy and delicious and we all knew it was a keeper.  A definite need to repeat the recipe. Matter of fact I cooked up some green beans from the Farmers market yesterday...



Green Bean and Tofu Curry
I had a lot of fun creating this recipe.  I had some of my fire roasted salsa in the fridge.  If  you do not have salsa handy, use a little tomato paste mixed with water.

2 tablespoons coconut oil or any mild oil
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup onion
3 cups green beans
1 1/2 teaspoons Balti Seasoning*
1/2 cup roasted Anaheim chilies or similar style chilies
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup water
slurry:
1 tablespoon of corn starch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water

Press tofu, at least for 30 minutes. Cut into bite sized cubes.

Boil green beans until tender. Cool to stop cooking process if you are not going to add the green beans right away. Drain completely.

Saute onion in oil until translucent.  Add Balti seasoning.  Add in salsa and green chilies. Add coconut milk.  Stir until completely incorporated.   Add tofu and cook until heated through, about ten minutes.  Add in green beans.  Mix in corn starch slurry. Cook one minute more and sprinkle on pistachios.  Serve with rice.



*You can add any kind of curry seasoning you like but obviously the taste will be different.  If you would like to get an idea of what this spice is like, these are the ingredients that are in the spice mix from Penzeys. 

BALTI season ingredients from Penzey's (I added the other names of some of the ingredients in  parentheses)

coriander, garlic, ginger, cumin, dundicut chilies, Ceylon cinnamon, brown mustard seeds, cardamom, clove, fennel, fenugreek, charnushka (Nigella seeds), ajwain (Caraway), star anise, black cardamom, cilantro, anise seed and bay leaf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gobi Manchurian

  This Gobi Manchurian is the bomb.  Its sweet and spicy.  I really enjoyed this over rice.  You can totally deep fry your cauliflower but I preferred it baked without the oil. You really wont miss the oil once it is bathed in this crazy good sauce. Gobi Manchurian I added a lot more veggies because I wanted it loaded with veggies but you can go sparse if you likke, just halve what I have here. 1 head cauliflower, roughly 4-6 cups small pieces (bite size) 1 cup flour  1/2 cup tapioca or corn flour (corn starch) 1 cup water 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 green bell peppers, diced 2 cups onion, I used sweet onion in mine but any onion will do 4-6 cloves garlic, depends on how much you like garlic 1 inch piece of ginger, minced or grated 1 chili, I used Hatch Chilies because I had them frozen in my freezer 2 tablespoons corn flour or tapioca flour 2 cups water, I like a lot of sauce to pour over my rice, you can halve it if you like 4 tablespoons tomato paste 2 tablespoons so...

Lemon Rice

This is so delicious!  This will be a regular to be sure! You can find all kinds of version of this South Indian dish on the internet.  We are pretty pleased with this version and my adaptations.  One of my adaptations is the yellow peppers.  You probably wont find that in most of the recipes on the internet but we liked it because it upped the vegetable quotient in our meal and it looked pretty making the dish more yellow, like lemons. Lemon Rice If you have rice already made, this will come together super quick. 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ½ tablespoon minced ginger ½ tablespoon urad dal 1 red chili pepper ½ teaspoon mustard seeds ½ cup raw cashew nuts some curry leaves, if you have them ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder 5½ cups cooked rice ¼ teaspoon salt or more to taste 4 tablespoons lemon juice, from one large lemon 2 large yellow bell peppers 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves Saute yellow peppers in oil until soft.add ginger,...

Mushroom and Potato Vegan Pizza

Vegan pizza.  I know.  It kind of seems ridiculous.  Cause you know pizza is all about the cheese. And its good.  I totally understand.  But all you need to do is shift your attitude a little and you will find that pizza really is so much more.  It can be about any flavor you want.  And of course, it can be about your favorite vegan mozzarella too.  But challenge yourself to go beyond all that.  To try new horizons. We have had vegan pizza few times.  We like it with sauce and an assortment of roasted vegetables. We liked this one a lot too.  It was so good. I think what really elevates this is the sauteed onions.  I might have mentioned that before in other recipes.  Do you detect a theme? Mushroom and Potato Pizza dough: 3 1/2 cups flour 1 tablespoon sugar 1 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast (1 package) 1 1/4 to 1/2 cups water topping: 4 cups mushrooms, sliced 1 large...