Skip to main content

Lemon Rice



This is so delicious!  This will be a regular to be sure! You can find all kinds of version of this South Indian dish on the internet.  We are pretty pleased with this version and my adaptations.  One of my adaptations is the yellow peppers.  You probably wont find that in most of the recipes on the internet but we liked it because it upped the vegetable quotient in our meal and it looked pretty making the dish more yellow, like lemons.

Lemon Rice
If you have rice already made, this will come together super quick.

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ tablespoon minced ginger
½ tablespoon urad dal
1 red chili pepper
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ cup raw cashew nuts
some curry leaves, if you have them
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
5½ cups cooked rice
¼ teaspoon salt or more to taste
4 tablespoons lemon juice, from one large lemon
2 large yellow bell peppers
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves

Saute yellow peppers in oil until soft.add ginger, urad dal, chili pepper, mustard seeds, turmeric and curry leaves.  Cook until fragrant.  Add in cashews, salt and rice.  Add lemon juice. Stir to combine but try not to stir too much.  Heat through and just after turning off heat add in cilantro and thoroughly mix in.  Serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mexican Style Tofu Scramble Bowl

A really easy bowl to make and super delicious! I really like the recipes I see out there for "bowls".  It's kind of funny because this is what I have pretty much done on my plate for a long time now.  I would stir it all together, much to my children's chagrin.  Well, at least one of my children.  She does not like things touching each other. She is not especially a fan of curries for example. Now, though, as she gets older, she is not quite so outraged about touching food. The bowl concept is a pretty sexy one, I think. So pretty, sitting there in the bowl.  Fun to see all the components and then mixing the beauty together with the noodles or rice or whatever underneath. I think what makes a good bowl is the blend of something crunchy, something piquant or spicy, something salty and something creamy. Just lovely! Mexican Tofu Scramble Bowl makes 4 bowls 1 brick of tofu, pressed for 20 minutes, then crumbled 1 tablespoon taco seasonings 1/2 cup garlic sca

BBQ Carrot with Pineapple Salsa

I found this idea at the cafeteria of the place I use to work at. I thought it was pretty genius. No author to site, sorry to whoever you are. I did experience some things that didn’t work in that recipe and changed it up quite a bit and added a trick I use for vegetables that so, all in all we could safely call this my recipe. In the original recipe, it called for roasting carrots.  I did that and really by the time they are tender, they are drying out from the roasting. They were cut in about 3/8ths slices.  A good way to do it if you want to do it all in the oven is to cover the carrots for a little while and let the steam cook them without drying. Then about 10 or 15 minutes in remove the cover and let them roast the rest of the way.  Matter of fact... I may make it today.  All I need is the zucchini... BRB. BBQ Carrot with Pineapple Salsa 1 cup pineapple, diced fine 1/4 cup red onion, diced fine 1 Serrano pepper, chopped fine 1/4 cup chopped cilantro 1 clove garlic

Saying Goodbye To The Old And Saying Hello To The New

When my daughter was two or three I started Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness.  I loved that blog.  At that time I was a stay at home Mom and desperately in need of a creative outlet and something I could look at and feel a sense of accomplishment.  So many years ago.  I poured my heart into that blog.  There were so many blogs that started at the same time as mine and seemed to sky rocket.  My blog, just plugged along.  Never reached 'rock star status'.  Many times I was bummed by that because it is how I saw myself in the world of professionals after leaving my social work job to stay home with the kids.  If my blog failed, it meant I wasn't any good.  Boy, was I hard on myself.  Many times I thought to leave blogdom, be done with it.  But I kept going, thinking that some amazing success would happen with my blog.  Something amazing would spring forth.  Some company would sign me on as a recipe developer.  Or my hits would go up and I would make money doing my blog. Or I